Sunday, May 16, 2010

Day 8

Today was our big travel day. We took a long bus ride down to Cobh in Southern Ireland. On the way we stopped at Wicklow Park. It had a really old cemetery and monastery tower. The tower we saw was one of the seven remaining round towers in Ireland. We also saw an old priest house; there is a fun story behind that little building. People thought that if they were to kiss the house their teeth ailments would instantly heal. Since there were no dentists back then, this seemed like a good cure. There were also hundreds of tombstones ranging in ages. Then we stopped at the Wicklow Park bar and got lunch. I learned that I really do not like Irish mustard. It was amazingly bitter—so spicy, in fact, that I could not eat my sandwich.

Then we got back on the bus for another four hours. We arrived in Cobh and went on a Titanic Walking Tour where we walked around the city looking at historical buildings. The tour guide gave us a brief history of the city. He said that Cobh harbor was one of the largest harbors in the world. It was perfect for times of war, because the navy could keep a lot of ships here. It also had a very small opening, so enemy ships would have trouble penetrating the harbor. Then our guide told us all about Father Browne, which was really nice because I did my research paper on him. He confirmed a lot of my information and showed us pictures that Father Browne took while aboard the Titanic. All and all, I learned a lot from the tour and got some great photos. Tonight I plan to catch up on some sleep. May the luck of the Irish be with you all!

P.S. The Internet here is slow so I cannot upload my photos as of yet, but they will be coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment